Saturday, June 11, 2011

british flag pillow...for Heather

I was chatting with my very dear friend Heather on FB today.  We were talking about sewing pillows and buying pillows.  Very important stuff.  Heather showed me a few pillows she wanted, asking if I could possibly sew some for her.  Of course I will!

She pointed out this pillow that she wants but she says it is too pricey (I agree 100%).  I told her maybe she could piece it together, kind of like a quilt.  From her response I knew that wasn't something she was interested in doing.  I told her that if I got around to it I would attempt making it myself and if I got it right I would make her one when I got back to the States in a few months.

Well, after getting off the chat with her I decided to give it a whirl.  It wasn't too difficult.  The most difficult part was figuring out how big to cut each of the pieces and figuring how to cut all the pieces.

I think overall I did fairly well for the first try.  I did mark down all the dimensions of all the piece and instructions for round two, when I make it for her.

Just thought I would share the results and let Heather have a chance to tell me if she would like one.  Next time I would make the cross in the middle more narrow.  Other than that, I think it is OK as is.




Just so you know, the colors of the pillow are a dark pink and navy blue.  The color isn't showing very correctly in the pictures.

So, what do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG VAL! I LOVE it! You are so awesome! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd love to do my whole sofa in them in different colors! You Rock!

Unknown said...

Glad you like it. But, don't you agree that the cross is a bit too wide? Maybe shave off an inch everywhere?

julie said...

You did this in a day?

You are a rock star!

Unknown said...

Julie, I would say it took me about 3 hours. At least an hour and a half to design the pillow, lay it out on paper and get the dimensions right. But, the next time I make it, since all that is already figured out now, I would say 1.5 hours tops!