After spending all that time on cutting and everything else that went along with doing that quilt, I was just ready to be done with it.
I was working on piecing together the back, which I ended up using part of a left over sheet (the purple) and fabric for the rest (the pink).
I was ready to stop at that point in the game. But, I knew if I stopped now there might be a chance I wouldn't start back up for a while. So, I decided to cheat a bit.
Usually I would put the front panel down, wrong side facing up, then the batting then the back panel, right side facing me. Kind of like a sandwich. At this point I would use safety pins and pin it all together.
After sewing it all, I would then have to cut additional fabric (WHAT! More cutting!!!) and do the binding around the entire quilt. Part of it would be sewn on the machine. The other would have to be hand sewn! NO WAY! I am NOT in the mood.
That is when I decided to cheat! I was over it all. I wanted the blanket but didn't want to do much more work. I mean, it is just for me.
I decided to sew the top piece directly to the batting. This allowed me to put the front and back panels, right sides together, on top of each other and then just sew, leaving a little spot so I could turn it back the right way. Kind of like making a big pillow. Instead of having to bind it, this did the step for me. No additional cutting required.
It needs some time before it becomes super soft like the quilt that Jorge uses. But that one is more than 10 years old. That is a lot of washing. But, overall, I am very happy with the outcome. And more happy that it is finished!
So I'm a cheat. Oh well. Now to finish the other quilt that I started a week or so ago...