Monday, August 02, 2010

Costco... a little piece of heaven on earth

Some of you already know this, but I am employed again! My awesome friend, Bradley, called me up in June and asked if I would be interested in working for him part-time from here in Mexico. I didn't have to think about it at all. I didn't care what I would be doing. All I knew is that I have been itching for some responsibilities that don't involve kids for a while. Being a mom is great and all, but I need something more. I just like working. AND, the money is always a positive!

The money is what is allowing our lives to be a little easier and better down here. Jorge's income is just pathetic and I have been struggling with trying to maintain staying within our tiny budget. I have gotten a lot better, but still not close to what it would take to live off of his income alone.

With this extra income we now have, we went all fancy and got a membership to the Costco in Aguascalientes. It is the bigger city about an hour and a half from here. It has the big mall and movie theaters and fast food restaurants and Wal-Mart and Home Depot. You get the point.

Yesterday we got the membership and bought lots of fun stuff at Costco. I don't think I have been more happy here in Mexico than I was yesterday!

Before we had even been in the store 1 minute, Jorge spots a cart with Coors Light in it. For some reason that is his favorite beer and the only place we have been able to find it is at Chili's (you know, the restaurant). And at $3 plus a bottle, well, he only has a few when we go every so often. We see commercials for it on our TV and know that there is a distribution center in Monterrey but haven't found it for sell anywhere. Well, at least until yesterday. You might imagine how happy he was.



After spotting the beer, I headed straight for the cheese section. My heart melted immediately because of all the variety. Remember we got that small refrigerator? Well, I had to pick and choose. But, I was happy knowing that I can go back whenever I want and buy a different kind.

We went down almost every aisle. (Towards the end, with a full cart and a small refrigerator at home, we decided to skip going down all remaining aisles. We will leave those for our next trip.) We got to the frozen food section and I didn't think it was possible for my heart to melt a second time, but it did! I found this!


Edamame! (note how large the bag is compared to the microwave!)

And these!


Chinese dumplings!

And we found salsa for dipping chips in. Funny that I live in Mexico and you would think that would be a staple, but they just don't do the chips and salsa like in the States. So, I have been on a mad hunt for a recipe and have found something close but no cigar. Now I can just pop over to the Costco for some more. And you see we got some asparagus! And crab meat (imitation but still good!). And you can see my provolone and colby jack cheese! Love is in the air!



I wasn't lying about the size of our refrigerator. You can see how packed our freezer is. For my non-meat eating friends, don't read the next line. We bought STEAKS! And pork chops and a bunch of chicken. It was WONDERFUL!



Next time I hope we can control ourselves a little bit more. I am sure we looked like fools. Oh well. It totally made my day.

2 comments:

Cutzi said...

Yay!! I love Costco and I'm able to go there once or twice a week. Who knows how I would be if I hadn't been in a while - I'd probably be running down the aisles screaming. Yay Costco!!

Julie said...

Things are looking up! Hooray for edamame and steak and cheese and working!!!

Also, your blog is BEAUTIFUL! I love it.