Tuesday, December 11, 2012

superhero blanket and some pillows

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that Emily is a tomboy at heart.  The girl loves all things superheros.  She had a little collection of superhero t-shirts and I thought they would make a cute blanket. 

I asked her if she wanted me to make a blanket out of all of her shirts.  She was against that idea.  But, then I found a picture of one on Pinterest that looked really cute.  The minute I showed her the picture, she was all for me doing a blanket for her.  She kept bugging me about it.  The problem was that I needed to buy some fabric.  I do that sort of thing in the States because I have trouble finding cute fabric here.

So, I got some fabric and the first week we were back, I decided to get her blanket done.  The first thing I did was to get all the fabric that I want to use.  Then, I had to figure out the layout of the blanket and get the dimensions that I needed to cut the fabric.



You can see the picture below is how I quickly layout the design of the blanket.  I try to do simple designs.  I have confessed before, I hate the sewing and cutting part.  I just like the end product.  And, making these girls of mine happy, that is the best part.


I cut out each of the t-shirts and sewed them onto a piece of fabric.  I was already liking how it looked.


I got all the other pieces cut and sewed together.  I was happy with the fabric selection.  I tried to find ones that were cute and not girly, but not too boyish looking.


I sewed the back piece on and it was finished!  She loved it!


This all happened right before I got my Christmas decorations out.  I saw some of this material and thought it would make a great little Christmas pillow.  So, I threw one together.


The girls were in love with it and requested a pillow for each of them.  I didn't do Christmas ones.  Instead, I did ones that could be in their room year round.  Here is Bella's.  Nothing fancy, but it sure is soft and cute!  I just love the orange and pink flower fabric. 


And, Emily had picked out some owl fleece while we were at Hancock Fabrics.  I used that for her pillow and some of the fabric from her blanket.  Cute, huh?


I have lots of fabric left over.  I'm going to have to make some more stuff!

5 comments:

I'm the Mami said...

Adorable!, i LOVE owls and love minky, sooo soft

julie said...

SO CUTE ! ! !

I love the blanket - and the Christmas pillow - and the pillows for the girls that look so soft! Everything looks so festive!!!

Tara said...

You are so talented and CRAFTY! I'm jealous. I love the blanket and pillows. Adorable!

Unknown said...

They're adorable. Why don't you also try making superhero costumes? Or wear superhero t-shirts like the ones I saw here.

I'm the Mami said...

Girl, where have you been?! I miss your posts woman!!